David Wood has a passion for autodidact study.
David immersed myself in the autodidact study of the Retail Industry whilst preparing to open Promenade Music (when he was 22). By the time the shop opened in 1989, he had gained a basic overview in the areas of: purchasing – sales – marketing – customer service – health and safety – warehousing – branding – logistics – mail order – retail accounting – compliance – instrument design – history of musical instrument manufacturers.
After David’s Law course finished at Lancaster Adult College, he continued his autodidact study and now has many years of explicit and tacit knowledge that he has gained through his business dealings. David has an interest in how law applies to industry in respect of: intellectual property – joint ventures – contracts – rights management – copyrights – trademarks – patents – registered designs – trade secrets – licensing – synchronization – samples – competition – distribution and supply chain agreements (manufacturer to dealer, distributor to dealer, agency agreements, and fiduciary agreements). David only has an interest in a very narrow field of law. He does not have a law qualification, he is not a lawyer.
David began to study Business and Finance. Certain topics fascinated me including: the principles and mechanics of fundamental analysis – financial statement analysis – financial wrongdoings at board level [detection, methods, traits, culture, risk probability] – macro finance [interest rates, inflation, bonds, exchange rates, capital structures] – mergers, acquisitions and divestments – shareholdings – profit sharing vehicles – and new seed funded start-ups.
He has a keen interest in Investment Strategies, the world of the stock market; international business; the mechanics of offshore jurisdictions; and value investing using contrarian crowd. As part of his autodidact study, he has mainly followed seven companies for analysis purposes. They are:
– Berkshire Hathaway Inc (As in: Duracell, Fruit of the Loom and shareholder of Kraft Heinz, American Express, Bank of America and several airlines).
– Sony Corporation (As in: records, publishing, movies, tv shows, video games, consumer electronics, etc)
– Apple Inc (As in: iPhones, iPads, iPods, Apple TV, iTunes, Logic, Apple Store, etc ).
– CBS Corporation (As in: cable networks, publishing, sports network, TV & Film studios and more).
– Merlin Entertainments PLC (As in: of Legoland, Madame Tussauds, London Eye, Alton Towers, Blackpool Tower, etc).
– The Coca-Cola Company (As in: of Coke, Fanta, Sprite, Costa Coffee and 500 other beverage brands).
– Viacom Inc (As in: Paramount Pictures, BET, CMT, MTV, VH1, Comedy Central, South Park, Paramount, Nickelodeon, Channel 5 [UK] etc).
– David enjoys professional development courses.
– David enjoys EdX MOOC courses provided by Harvard University and Massachusetts Institute of Technology.