In 2022, David Wood became a host for Barrie Wells Trust’s Box4Kids scheme which was launched in 2010.
It all began when Barrie purchased an executive box at Liverpool Football Club solely for the purpose of Box4Kids. The box is still used exclusively at every match for the benefit of seriously ill and disabled children. The success of the LFC box led to Barrie deciding to take the scheme to the next level by asking organisations and individuals throughout the UK to consider donating a box for at least one event per season. Starting from Barrie’s one box at Anfield, to date, Barrie has now been able to invite over 9,500 children and their loved ones to attend Box4Kids events over 100 different venues across the UK.
Barrie has inspired many Premier League football clubs, rugby league, rugby union, tennis, Formula One, cricket and The Jockey Club venues to donate their executive boxes at least once per year. Along with every major entertainment arena across the North and Midlands, the O2, the Royal Albert Hall and Wembley all coming on board to support Box4Kids.
The boxes provide a safe and relaxing environment for children and most importantly the opportunity to be treated like a VIP for the day. These much deserved experiences provide quality time for each child and their guest, away from the day to day challenges they face with their illnesses.
– Video of Barrie – the founder of Box4Kids – being interviewed on Granada ITV about Box4Kids.
– Video by David Morrissey about Box4Kids.
– Video by Daniel Sturridge (Liverpool player) about Box4Kids.
Organisations are able to simply donate their boxes to the Barrie Wells Trust for individual events and Barrie and his team then handle all the logistics for the day. Some of the highlights children can enjoy include a fantastic atmosphere, goody bags, delicious food, incredible hospitality, and meeting mascots.
Box4Kids Events That David Has Hosted
– 10th of September 2023 at York Racecourse for York Mix Family Sunday.
– 13th of August 2023 at The Totally Wicked Stadium St Helens for the St Helens R.F.C. v Huddersfield Giants super league rugby match.
– 4th of June 2023 at the St James’ Park Newcastle for the annual Magic Weekend super league rugby event.
– 27th of August 2022 at Etihad Stadium Manchester for the Manchester City Vs Crystal Palace football match.
– 5th of August 2022 at the DW Stadium Official Wigan for the Wigan Warriors v Warrington Wolves rugby match.
– 19th of June 2022 at the Haydock Park Racecourse for six horse races.
– 14th of April 2022 at Anfield Stadium Liverpool for the Liverpool FC v Benfica champions league football game.
Visit the Box4Kids Website
If you have an executive box, please Get involved with Box4Kids